Professor Simon Marvin
Simon joined Durham University in 2012 and is the Carillion Chair of Low Carbon Cities and Deputy Director of Durham Energy Institute.
Simon is an expert on the changing relations between cities, regions and infrastructure networks in a period of resource constraint, institutional restructuring and climate change. Simon’s research has been funded by the ESRC, EPSRC, international research foundations, the European Commission, commercial funders, and many public agencies. He is currently working with the UNEP as a lead author on a major new report on decoupling cities and resource use. His research is currently focused on two large programmes. The first looking at comparative urban responses to climate change and resource constraint by cities in Africa, China, Sweden and the UK funded by the Mistra Foundation. The second funded by the EPSRC looks at whether and how UK cities develop the knowledge and capability to systemically reengineer their built environment and urban infrastructure. Simon is a co-author of six internationally leading books on cities and infrastructure.
Journal papers: academic
- Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. Mediating Low-Carbon Urban Transitions? Forms of Organization, Knowledge and Action. European Planning Studies. 2012;20:421-439.
- Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. Can cities shape socio-technical transitions and how would we know if they were?. Research Policy. 2010;39:477-485.
- Hodson, M & Marvin, S. Urbanism in the anthropocene: Ecological urbanism or premium ecological enclaves?. City. 2010;14:298.
- Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. ‘Urban Ecological Security’ A New Urban Paradigm?. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research. 2009;33:193-215.
- Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. Cities mediating technological transitions: understanding visions, intermediation and consequences. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management. 2009;21:515-534.
- Moss, T., Medd, W., Guy, S. & Marvin, S. Organising Water: The Hidden Role of Intermediary Work. Water Alternatives. 2009;2:16-33.
- Medd, W. & Marvin, S. Making water work: intermediating between regional strategy and local practice. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 2008;26:280-299.
- Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. World Cities and Climate Change. Open University Press; 2010.
- Guy, S., Marvin, S., Medd, W. & Moss, T. Shaping Urban Infrastructures – Intermediaries and the Governance of Socio-Technical Networks. Earthscan; 2011.
- Bulkeley, H.A., Castan Broto, V., Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. Cities and Low Carbon Transitions. Routledge; 2010.
- Bulkeley, H. Climate change and urban governance: a new politics? In: Lockie, S., Sonnenfield, D. & Fisher, D. Oxford Handbook of Climate Change and Society. Routledge; 2012.