Departmental Research Projects
Dr Sarah Woodroffe
I am a lecturer in the Geography Department. My research is focused upon reconstructing Holocene and recent sea-level changes using microfossil-based reconstruction methods, in order to answer questions of ice sheet history, crustal response to surface loading and predictions of future sea-level change in vulnerable coastal areas. I’m currently involved in research looking at sea-level changes over the last millennia in Greenland and what they can tell us about the changing mass-balance history of the Greenland Ice Sheet over the recent past and over longer timescales. I am also working on sea-level records from key locations far from the centres of former glaciation which provide information on the long-term melting histories of the large ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica. My particular area of expertise is the development and application of new statistical sediment and microfossil-based methodologies (including transfer functions) in reconstructing sea-level change. These are designed to enhance accuracy and precision and to allow development of sea-level records from historically poorly studied locations such as low and high latitudes.
- Constraining Greenland Ice Sheet Mass Balance Using Salt Marsh Sediment Sequences
- Reconstructing ice sheet history using relative sea-level (RSL) observations and modelling
Book chapters: online
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Long, A.J. (2012). Late Quaternary Sea-level Changes in Greenland. In Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science, 2nd edition. Editor in Chief Elias & S.A. Elsevier. Accepted.
Journal papers: academic
- Barlow, N.L.M., Shennan, I., Long, A.J., Gehrels, W.R., Saher, M.H, Woodroffe, S.A. & Hillier, C. (2013). Salt marshes as late Holocene tide gauges. Global and Planetary Change 106: 90-110.
- Wake, L.M., Milne, G.A., Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Simpson, M.J.R. & Huybrechts, P. (2012). Century-scale relative sea-level changes in West Greenland — A plausibility study to assess contributions from the cryosphere and the ocean. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 315-316: 86-93.
- Brain, M.J., Long, A.J, Woodroffe, S.A., Petley, D.N., Milledge, D.G. & Parnell, A.C. (2012). Modelling the effects of sediment compaction on salt marsh reconstructions of recent sea-level rise. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 345-348: 180-193.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Milne, G. A., Bryant, C.L., Simpson, M.J.R. & Wake, L.M. (2012). Relative sea-level change in Greenland during the last 700 years and ice sheet response to the Little Ice Age. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 315-316: 76-85.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Roberts, D.H. & Dawson, S. (2011). Isolation basins, sea-level changes and the Holocene history of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Quaternary Science Reviews 30(27-28): 3748-3768.
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Long, A.J. (2010). Reconstructing recent relative sea-level changes in West Greenland: local diatom-based transfer functions are superior to regional models. Quaternary International 221(1-2): 91-103.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Milne, G.A., Bryant, C.L. & Wake, L.M. (2010). Relative sea level change in west Greenland during the last millennium. Quaternary Science Reviews 29(3-4): 367-383.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A. , Dawson, S., Roberts, D.H. & Bryant, C.L. (2009). Late Holocene relative sea-level rise and the Neoglacial history of the Greenland ice sheet. Journal of Quaternary Science 24(4): 345-359.
- Woodroffe, S.A. (2009). Recognising subtidal foraminiferal assemblages: implications for quantitative sea-level reconstructions using a foraminifera-based transfer function. Journal of Quaternary Science 24(3): 215-223.
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Long, A.J. (2009). Salt marshes as archives of recent relative sea-level change in West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews 28(17-18): 1750-1761.
- Woodroffe, S.A. (2009). Testing models of mid to late Holocene sea-level change, North Queensland, Australia. Quaternary Science Reviews 28(23-24): 2474-2488.
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Horton, B.P. (2005). Holocene sea-level changes in the Indo-Pacific. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 25(1): 29-43.
- Woodroffe, S.A., Horton, B.P., Larcombe.P.E. & Whittaker, J.E. (2005). Intertidal mangrove foraminifera from the central Great Barrier Reef shelf, Australia: Implications for sea-level reconstruction. Journal of Foraminiferal Research 35(3): 259-270.
- Horton, B. P., Larcombe, P., Woodroffe, S. A., Whittaker, J. E., Wright, M. R. & Wynn, C. (2003). Contemporary foraminiferal distributions of the Great Barrier Reef coastline, Australia: implications for sea-level reconstructions. Marine Geology 198: 225-243.