Departmental Research Projects
Publication detailsBambra, C., Fox, D. & Scott-Samuel, A. (2005). Towards a politics of health. Health Promotion International 20(2): 187-193.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0957-4824, 1460-2245
- DOI: 10.1093/heapro/dah608
- Keywords: Politics, Policy, Health determinants.
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
The importance of public policy as a determinant of health is routinely acknowledged, but there remains a continuing absence of mainstream debate about the ways in which the politics, power, and ideology which underpin public policy influence people's health. This paper explores the possible reasons behind the absence of a politics of health and demonstrates how explicit acknowledgement of the political nature of health will lead to more effective health promotion strategy and policy, and to more realistic and evidence-based public health and health promotion practice.