About the College
The origins of the College of St Hild and St Bede date from the foundation of two Colleges of Education; The College of the Venerable Bede (for men) in 1838 and St Hild's College (for women) in 1858.The two Colleges were amalgamated in 1975 as the College of St Hild & St Bede which subsequently became a University Council-controlled College in 1979 and ceased to specialise in Education. However, the association with the University was always close prior to this date with undergraduates being members of the two original Colleges - the first three women graduates of Durham, in 1898, were members of St Hild's College.
The original building of St Hild's College dates from 1857. Over subsequent years extensions were added to the study bedroom spaces and these areas retain their original names: "New Dorm", "Upper Precincts", "Lawrence Wing" etc. The building now houses 163 students as well as the main administrative and student support services, plus specific student facilities that occupy some of the former teaching space.
Students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, from all departments within the University are members of College. With a total student population of over 1200, over half of whom live out of College, we are the largest of the Colleges that admit undergraduates. This diversity adds to the richness of life within the community.
The College has some of the best sporting, non-sporting and academic facilities of all the Durham Colleges, with its own tennis & squash courts.
The College has some of the most attractive buildings in Durham, with views across the city towards the historic Cathedral and Castle.