This page lists events taking place within Durham University or in the local area with which English Studies staff and students are directly involved. For English related events in Durham or in the local region organised outside of the Department, see the Regional Events page.
'‘This song to come, this reader to become’: Reading Blanchot’s Style of Paradox,” by Mario Aquilina (University of Malta)
A seminar in the staff and postgraduate research seminar programme.
Mario Aquilina is a third-year part-time Ph.D research student working under the supervision of Professor Timothy Clark. Having read for a BA (Hons) and MA in English at the University of Malta, Mario is now a full-time lecturer of English at the Junior College of the University of Malta and a part-time lecturer within the Department of English at the University of Malta, where he delivers courses in Victorian Literature, the Development of English Literature, Creative Writing Skills for Journalists and Literary Theory. In his Ph.D research, Mario is exploring the notion of style, its theoretical definitions through history, and, in particular, the way "deconstructive" thinkers like Maurice Blanchot and Jacques Derrida reinvent style as an "event" in their (anti-) theoretical work. His two latest papers discuss Blanchot's style of paradox in 'René Char' and Fredric Jameson's conception of style in The Political Unconscious.
READ: Research in English At Durham. Sharing new research and events from the Department of English Studies at Durham University.
- Late Summer Lecture Series Returns to Durham and Newcastle http://t.co/SEVzYLm5FC
Tweeted 19 hours ago
- Postgraduate English journal looking for peer reviewers to join editorial board http://t.co/bM0YQS5r6m. Great opportunity for #ECRs #ECRchat
Tweeted 1 day ago
- RT @DurhamMEMSA: REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR OUR CONFERENCE!!! YAY!!!! REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN HERE: http://t.co/YieK7gnXmq
Tweeted 1 day ago
- John Clegg Wins the Eric Gregory Award http://t.co/6m3C44m5Ss
Tweeted 3 days ago
- Join the Editorial Board of the Postgraduate English Journal http://t.co/JvLB90w4sC
Tweeted 6 days ago
English Events Newsletter
In addition to these web listings, a monthly email digest of all English-related events at Durham University and across the wider region is circulated to all staff and students in the Department, and to interested members of the public.
To see this month's newsletter, or for instructions on how to subscribe to the mailing list, visit our Research in English At Durham blog.
IMRS/IMEMS Conference Series Summer 2013
- Early Modern Catholicism
- Intellectual Networks in the Long Seventeenth Century
- Producing Text and Gospel Commentary in Medieval Perspective
Three conferences in June and July will mark the launch of the University’s Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies and the Durham exhibition of the Lindisfarne Gospels, and celebrate the rich resources of the city’s historic libraries – Cosin’s Library, the Cathedral Library, and the Library of Ushaw College.
Full programme details PDF