Prof Mike Fleming
Mike Fleming is emeritus professor of education. He has fulfilled a number of roles in the School of Education. He spent five years as Director of the PGCE secondary course, five years as Director of Initial Teacher Training, and five years as Director of Research and as Director of Postgraduate Division. He supervises a number of doctoral students.
His research interests are in the area of the teaching of English and drama, aesthetics and arts education, and intercultural education. He has published twelve books (five single authored, two co-authored and five edited) as well as a large number of papers and chapters in books. He has also published a series of text books. His writing on drama and aesthetics has been extremely influential both nationally and internationally in integrating competing traditions from drama in education and theatre. He has also published on the relationship between drama and intercultural education.
He is currently working on a Language Education Policy for Europe at the Council of Europe. For a report of this work see http://www.coe.int/T/DG4/Linguistic/Default_en.asp
His most recent book published in 2012 is on the Arts in Education.
In 2012/2013 he will with Professor Liora Bresler (University of Illinois) and Professor John O'Toole (University of Melbourne), edit the Routledge International Handbook of Arts and Education.
Completed Supervisions (since 2008)
- Ms Bogusia Matusiak-varley
- Mr Ozcan Arslanoglu
- Mrs Jessica Ogilvy-stuart
- Miss Li-chen Li
- Ms Irene Chen
- Ms Lai Ho
- Drama in education
- English teaching
- Teacher training
Journal papers: academic
- De Korne, H., Byram, M. & Fleming, M. (2007). Familiarising the Stranger: Immigrant Perceptions of Cross-cultural interaction and Bicultural Identity. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 28(4): 290-307.
- Fleming, M. (2006). Drama and language teaching: the relevance of Wittgenstein's concept of language games. Humanising Language Teaching 8(4): 1-12.
- Fleming, M. (2006). Justifying the Arts: Drama and Intercultural Education. Journal of Aesthetic Education 40(1): 54-64.
- M. Fleming (2004). Drama and Intercultural Education. German as a Foreign Language (special edition) 110-123.
- Fleming, M., Merrell, C. & Tymms, P. (2004). The Impact of Drama on Pupils' Language, Mathematics, and Attitude in Two Primary Schools. Research in Drama Education 9(2): 177-197.
- M. Fleming (2000). Progression and Continuity in the Teaching of Drama. Drama: Journal of National Drama 2(1).
- Fleming MP (2000). Wittgenstein and the Teaching of Drama. Research in Drama Education Vol 5(1): 33-44.
- Fleming, Mike. (2012). The Arts in Education: an introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy. Routledge.
- Fleming, Mike (2011). Starting Drama Teaching. Routledge.
- Fleming, M.P. (2008). Arts Education and Creativity. London: Arts Council: Creative Partnerships.
- M. Fleming & D. Stevens (2004). English Teaching in the Secondary School (Second Ed). David Fulton Publishers.
- Fleming, M. (2001). Teaching Drama in Primary and Secondary Schools: An Integrated Approach. London: David Fulton.
- M. Fleming, F. Hardman, D. Stevens & J. Williamson (2000). Meeting the Standards in Secondary English. Routledge.
- M.P. Fleming (1997). The Art of Drama Teaching. David Fulton Publishers.
- Aase, L., Pieper, I., Samihaian, T. & Fleming, M.P. (2007). Text, literature and "Bildung" - comparative perspectives. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Fleming, M.P. (2007). The Challenge of Assessment within Language of Education. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Fleming, M.P. (2007). The Literary Canon: Implications for the Teaching of Language as Subject. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Feng, A., Byram, M. & Fleming, M. (2009). Becoming Interculturally Competent through Education and Training. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- G. Alred, M. Byram & M. Fleming (2002). Intercultural Experience and Education. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- M. Byram & M. Fleming (2001). Perspectivas interculturales en el aprendizaje de idiomas: enfoques a través del teatro y la etnografiá. Colección Cambridge de didáctica de lenguas; Cambridge University Press.
- M. Fleming & M. Byram (1998). Language Learning in Intercultural Perspective: Approaches through Drama and Ethnography. Cambridge University Press.
- Fleming, M. & Feng, A. (2009). Assessing Intercultural Competence: The Sailsa Project. In Intercultural Competence and Foreign Language Learning. Hu, A. & Byram, M.S. Tubingen: Gunter Narr Verlag.
- Fleming, M. (2009). Introduction: Education and Training: Becoming Interculturally Competent. In Becoming Interculturally Competent through Education and Training. Feng, A., Byram, M. & Fleming, M. Multilingual Matters.
- Fleming, M. (2009). The Challenge of Competence. In Intercultural Competence and Foreign Language Learning. Hu, A. & Byram, M.S. Tubingen: Gunter Narr Verlag.
- Fleming, M.P. (2008). Teaching drama: lessons from its recent development in the UK. In Education and Theatre. Govas, N. Athens: Hellenic Theatre and Dram Network.
- Fleming, M.P. (2007). The Use and Misuse of Competence Statements with Particular Reference to the Teaching of Literature. In Towards a common Euoproean framework of reference for language(s) of school education: proceedings of a conference. Waldemar Martyniuk Poland:
- Fleming, M. (2006). The Concept of ‘Intercultural Citizenship’ Lessons from Fiction and Art. In Education for intercultural citizenship: concepts and comparisons. Alred, G. , Byram, M. & Fleming, M. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. 130-143.
- M. Fleming (2003). Intercultural Experience and Drama. In Intercultural Experience and Education. G. Alred, M. Byram & M. Fleming Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
Other publications: research
- Fleming, M., Aase, L., Pieper, I. & Onstad, S. (Published). The Languages of Schooling. Strasbourg: Council of Europe. Council of Europe
- Fleming, Mike (2010). The Aims of Language Education.