Dr Sean McCusker
Dr Sean McCusker has a background in Engineering with a Ph.D in Civil Engineering and having carried out post-doctoral work on Government-funded research projects in that field. Since moving to Education, he has led projects in Storytelling through the NESTORIES programme and in ICT enabled distance learning in Formative Assessment, with the Ministry of Education in the Maldives. He has been involved in the development of new methods and approaches to education and assessment in light of the changing demands of the 21st century. He has been applying creative ideas to adapt practices and techniques from a range of environments for use in education. He has expertise in utilising new technologies to enhance educational practice. He has worked on the development of curriculum materials for problem solving and materials for professional development in the light of new technologies and new educational goals. Sean has been a member of partnerships on 4 EU Lifelong Learning Projects with, each which focus on the engagement of Women in STEM Subjects. Sean also works with the SMART Centre at Durham University (http://www.dur.ac.uk/smart.centre).
Sean contributes to teaching within the School of Education amongst other duties, he is module convenor on Assessment on the Masters and Doctoral programmes within the School of Education. He also contributes to the undergraduate course in Education Studies with a course on Assessment and Intervention.
- Digital Storytelling
- SMART Centre: http://www.dur.ac.uk/smart.centre/
- Public Understanding of Data
Journal papers: academic
- Botturi, L., Bramani, C. & McCusker, S. (2012). Boys are like girls: insights in the gender digital divide in higher education in Switzerland and Europe. Journal of Universal Computer Science 18(3): 353-376.
- Tymms, P., McCusker, S., Remedios, R. & Anderson, C. (2010). Breaking the Mould and the Birth of a New Journal: Online Educational Research Journal. Online Educational Research Journal
Journal papers: professional
- McCusker, S. (2013). Picture this: A learning journey with a difference. Practical Pre-School (145): 16-17.
- Ridgway, J., Nicholson, J. & McCusker, S. (2011). Developing Statistical Literacy in Students and Teachers. In Teaching Statistics in School Mathematics - Challenges for Teaching and Teacher Education: A Joint ICMI/IASE Study: The 18th ICMI Study. Batanera, C., Burrill, G. & Reading, C. Springer. 311-322.
- Ridgway, J. & McCusker, S. (2008). PREMA: Evidence from Six Countries. In Promoting Equity in Maths Achievement - the current discussion. Chionidou-Moskofglou, M., Blunk, A., Siemprinska, R., Solomon, Y & Tanzberger, R. Barcelona: University of Barcelona. 23-32.
- Ridgway, J. & McCusker, S. (2009). Challenges for Research in e-Assessment.