Dr Neal Wade, BEng PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Researcher ID : A-4255-2009
Neal is exploring the ways in which electricity distribution systems can benefit from the addition of electrical energy storage. He has developed computer models of networks with storage systems and is measuring the performance improvements brought by operating the system according to different control strategies.
Also in the Energy Group at Durham, he has developed a solar powered water pump for use in remote areas of low income countries.
Before this he worked for two years as a physics instructor at a new university in the southern region of Ethiopia.
Neal has worked as an electrical engineer in industry on the design and manufacture of switch-mode power supplies.
Neal has a PhD in the application of plasma physics to material processing and a BEng in Electronics and Music, both from the University of Glasgow.
- Energy storage on electricity networks
- Integration of distributed generation
- Power system control
- Lang, Peter., Wade, Neal., Taylor, Philip., Jones, Peter. & Larsson, Tomas. (2011), Early findings of an energy storage practical demonstration, 21st International Conference on Electricity Distribution. Frankfurt, Germany, The Institution of Engineering and Technology.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Taylor, P.C., Xu, T., Wade, N.S., Prodanovic, M., Silversides, R., Green, T., Davidson, E.M. & McArthur, S. (2010). Distributed Voltage Control in AURA-NMS. 2010 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Minneapolis, USA, IEEE.
- Wade, Neal, Taylor, Philip, Lang, Peter & Svensson, Jan (2009). Energy storage for power flow management and voltage control on an 11kV UK distribution network. 20th International Conference on Electricity Distribution, Prague, Czech Republic, The Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Wade, N. S. & Short, T. D. (2006). Behaviour of a Linear Actuator for Use in a Low Technology Solar Water Pump. 3rd IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives, Dublin, Ireland, Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Wade, N. S. & Short, T. D. (2006). Progress in the Development of a Novel Photovoltaic Water Pump. International Conference on Renewable Energies and Water Technologies, Almería, Spain.
- Wade, NS, Diver, DA, McDonald, DC & Millar, AP (1999). Dielectrophoresis in processing plasmas. Warsaw, Poland, POLISH ACAD SCIENCES, SPACE RESEARCH CENTRE, 18A BARTYCKA ST, PL-00716 WARSAW, POLAND.
Journal papers: academic
- Xu, Tau., Wade, Neal S., Davidson, Euan M., Taylor, Philip C., McArthur, Stephen D. J. & Garlick, William G. (2011). Case-Based Reasoning for Coordinated Voltage Control on Distribution Networks. Electric Power Systems Research 81(12): 2088-2098.
- Chen, Minyou, Yu, Lei, Wade, Neal S., Liu, Xiaoqin, Liu, Qing & Yang, Fan (2011). Investigation on the Faulty State of DFIG in a Microgrid. IEEE transactions on power electronics 26(7): 1913-1919.
- Wade, N.S., Taylor, P.C., Lang, P.D. & Jones, P.R. (2010). Evaluating the benefits of an electrical energy storage system in a future smart grid. Energy Policy 38(11): 7180-7188.
- Wade, N. S. & Short, T. D. (2007). The performance of a new positive displacement pump targeted to improve rural water supplies. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A, Journal of Power and Energy 221(A8): 1163-1171.
- Wade, NS, Diver, DA, McDonald, DC & Millar, AP (2000). Modelling the dielectrophoresis effect on the transport of neutral molecules in processing plasmas. Physics Letters A 275(5-6): 447-451.