Dr Jun Jie Wu, BEng MSc DPhil
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr Wu is Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Bioengineering. Her research interests are in the areas of numerical modelling of natural and synthetic polymers, biomaterials for prostheses bearing surfaces, and functional tissue engineering.
She obtained her MSc in Computer Science from Oxford University Computing Laboratory and a DPhil from Department of Engineering Science at Oxford University, where she was a Career Development Fellow before joining the University of Durham in summer 2004.
Since joining Durham, she has held and is currently holding research fundings as Principal investigator in Biomaterials for novel hip and knee prostheses as well as Tissue engineering for a number of recent projects.
She is involved in teaching the following courses: Bioengineering, Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Dynamic System Modelling, Technology for Modern World - Bioengineering and Engineering drawing.
EPSRC Funding on Adsorption and Adhesion on Semi-Crystalline Polymers
Biomet Funding on Next Generation Hip Joints
Royal Academy of Engineering Funding on Tissue Engineering
Biomet Funding on Structural and Biotribological Investigations of Ceramic-on-Ceramic Hip Joints
EPSRC Funding on Novel Approaches for Improving UHMWPE Wear and Fatigue Properties in Knee Joints
EPSRC and Biomet Funding on Structural and Biotribological Investigations of Ceramic-on-Metal Hip Joints
Centre for Bioactive Chemistry
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Wang QQ, Wu JJ & Khan I (2009). BEARING CONFORMITY IN KNEE JOINT REPLACEMENTS: CURVED VERSUS FLAT TIBIAS. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Congress of International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, USA.
- Giddings D, Wu JJ, Khan I & Unsworth A (2009). BIOTRIBOLOGICAL AND STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISATIONS OF 28MM DIAMETER ZTA-ZTA HIP JOINTS UNDER STANDARD AND AGGRESSIVE WEAR CONDITIONS USING PROSIM HIP SIMULATOR. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Congress of International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, USA.
- Wu JJ, Wang QQ & Khan I (2009). CHAIN ENTANGLEMENTS AND UHMWPE WEAR PERFORMANCE. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Congress of International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, USA.
- Williams SR, Wu JJ, Khan I & Unsworth A (2009). THE EFFECT OF THIRD BODY ALUMINA PARTICLES ON THE WEAR AND SURFACE TOPOGRAPHY OF 38mm CERAMIC-on-AS CAST CoCrMo TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENTS. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Congress of International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, USA.
Journal papers: academic
- Field R & Wu JJ (2013). Mass transfer limitations in forward osmosis: Are some potential applications overhyped?. Desalination 318: 118.
- Field R, Wu H & Wu JJ (2013). Multiscale Modeling of Membrane Distillation: Some Theoretical Considerations. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research
- Douillard T, Chevalier J, Descamps-Mandine A, Warner I, Galais Y, Whitaker P, Wu JJ & Wang QQ (2012). . Journal of the European Ceramic Society
- Wang Q, Wu JJ, Unsworth A, Briscoe A, Jarman-Smith M, Lowry C, Simpson D & Collins S (2012). Biotribological study of large diameter ceramic-on-CFR-PEEK hip joint including fluid uptake, wear and frictional heating. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 23(6): 1533-1542.
- Caldwell S, Johnson D, Didsbury M, Murray B, Wu JJ, Przyborski S & Cameron NR (2012). Degradable emulsion-templated scaffolds for tissue engineering from thiol– ene photopolymerisation. Soft Matter 8(40): 10344.
- Wu J J, Augustine A, Holland J P & Deehan D J (2012). Oxidation and fusion defects synergistically accelerate polyethylene failure in knee replacement. The Knee 19(2): 124–129.
- Qian Qian Wang, Jun Jie Wu, Anthony Unsworth, David Simpson, Simon Collins, Adam Briscoe & Marcus Jarman-Smith (2011). Biotribology of 40mm Diameter MOTIS PEEK on Ceramic Hip Joints: A Detailed Simulator Study with Different Inclination Angles. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Congress of ISTA
- Field R & Wu JJ (2011). Modelling of permeability loss in membrane filtration: Re-examination of fundamental fouling equations and their link to critical flux. Desalination 283: 68-74.
- Elaine Lovelady, Scott Kimmins, Jun Jie Wu & Neil Cameron (2011). Preparation of emulsion-templated porous polymers using thiol–ene and thiol–yne chemistry. Polymer Chemistry 2(3): 559-562.
- Williams S R, Wu J J, Unsworth A & Khan I (2011). Wear and surface analysis of 38 mm ceramic-on-metal total hip replacements under standard and severe wear testing conditions. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine 225(8): 783-796.
- Williams S R, Wu J J, Unsworth A & Khan I (2010). Wear, Friction and Surface Analysis of 38mm ceramic-on-metal total joint hip replacements. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br) 92-B: 101-102.
- Wu J J , Stanley M & Khan I (2009). Biotribological and Structural Characterisations of Total Knee Replacements: A Prosim Knee Simulator Study. Proceedings of IMeChE Knee Arthroplasty: From Early Intervention to Revision 89-94.
- Hutchings L R, Dodds J M, Rees D, Kimani S M, Wu J J & Smith E (2009). HyperMacs to HyperBlocks: A Novel Class of Branched Thermoplastic Elastomer. Macromolecules 42(22): 8675-8687.
- Wang Q Q & Wu J J (2009). Numerical Prediction on Mechanical Contacts Vanguard Knee Joint replacements Tested in the Displacement-Controlled Prosim Simulator. Proceedings of IMeChE Knee Arthroplasty: From Early Intervention to Revision 289-292.
- Reay E, Wu J, Holland J & Deehan D (2009). Premature failure of Kinemax Plus total knee replacements. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - British Volume 91-B(8): 604-611.
- Williams S R, Wu J J, Unsworth A & Khan, I (2009). Tribological and surface analysis of 38 mm alumina–as-cast Co–Cr–Mo total hip arthroplasties. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine 223(8): 941-954.
- Williams SR, Wu JJ, Unsworth A & Khan I (2009). Tribological and Surface Analysis of 38mm alumina-as cast CoCrMo Total Hip Arthroplasties. Proc. IMechE Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine 223: 941-954.
- Tholozan F , Goldberg M , Przyborski S, Wu J J & Quinlan R (2008). Bovine Lens Capsule-derived 3D matrices: Significance to the Maintenance of Lens Epthelial Cell Phenotype in in vitro Culture Models. ARVO 2008 Annual Meeting Eyes on Innovation
- Datta, H.K., Wu, J.J., Tuck, Stephen & Walker, J. (2008). Emerging Evidence of Osteocytes as Mechanosensors and Regulators of Mineralisation. Euopean Musculoskeletal Review 3(2): 48-52.
- Williams S, Wu J J, Unsworth A & Khan I (2008). Wear friction and surface analysis of 38mm ceramic-on-metal total hip replacements. Proc 21st Annual Congress of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty 91.
- Wu JJ (2006). Quantitative constitutive behaviour and viscoelastic properties of fresh flexor tendons. The International Journal of Artificial Organs 29(9): 852-857.
- Buckley CP, Wu JJ & Haughie DW (2006). The integrity of welded interfaces in ultra high molecular weight polyethylene: Part 1 Model. Biomaterials 27(17): 3178-3186.
- Haughie DW, Buckley CP & Wu JJ (2006). The integrity of welded interfaces in ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene: Part 2 - Interface Toughness. Biomaterials 27: 3875-3881.
- O'Connor JJ, Buckley CP & Wu JJ (2004). Method of compression moulding of polymer powder and product produced.
- Wu J. J. & Buckley C. P. (2004). Plastic deformation of glassy polystyrene a unified model of yield and the role of chain length. Journal of polymer science part B polymer physics 42(11): 2027-2040.
- Buckley CP & Wu JJ (2003). Anisotropic plastic deformation of glassy polymers with process-induced molecular orientation.
- Wu JJ & Buckley CP (2003). The role of molecular parameters in the plastic deformation of glassy polystyrene.
- Wu JJ & Buckley CP (2002). Deformation modelling of glassy polymers incorporating structural change.
- Wu JJ, Buckley CP & O'Connor JJ (2002). Integrity of compression moulded UHMWPE components.
- Wu J J, Buckley C P & O'Connor J J (2002). Mechanical integrity of compression-moulded ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene effects of varying process conditions. Biomaterials 23(17): 3773-3783.
- Wu J. J., Buckley C. P. & O'Connor J. J. (2002). Processing of ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene modelling the decay of fusion defects. Chemical engineering research and design official journal of the European federation of chemical engineering part A 80(A5): 423-431.
- Wu J. J., Buckley C. P. & O'Connor J. J. (2001). The origin of fusion defects in ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene for joint replacement prostheses. Journal of materials science letters 20(5): 473-475.
- Wu JJ, Buckley CP & O'Connor JJ (2000). Interparticle Bonding in Ultra-high Molecular Weight Polyethylene and its Control via Process Parameters.
- Wu JJ, Buckley CP & O'Connor JJ (2000). The Origin of Fusion Defects in Load-bearing UHMWPE Components for Joint Replacement Prostheses.
- 2009: EPSRC Funding on Adsorption and Adhesion on Semi-Crystalline Polymers
- 2009: Funded by Biomet on Next Generation Hip Joints
- 2009: Royal Academy of Engineering on Tissue Engineering
- 2008: Funded by Biomet on Structural and Biotribological Investigations of Ceramic-on-Ceramic Total Hip Replacements
- 2007: EPSRC Funding on Novel Approaches for Improving UHMWPE Wear and Fatigue Properties in Total Knee Replacements
- 2006: EPSRC and Biomet Funding on Structural and Biotribological Investigations of Ceramic-on-Metal Total Hip Replacements
- 2005: Nuffield Foundation on Three-Dimentional Finite Element Modelling