Dr Ashraf Osman, BSc MPhil PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ashraf Osman graduated in 2000 from the University of Khartoum ,Sudan, with a B.Sc (First Class Honours) in Civil Engineering. He worked as a teaching assistant at Civil Engineering Department,University of Khartoum for a year before joining Cambridge University Geotechnical Research Group in October 2001. He completed an MPhil in September 2002 and a PhD in May 2005 under the supervision of Professor Malcolm Bolton. Then, he worked in Cambridge University as a Research Associate until September 2006 when he moved to Durham as a Lecturer in Geomechanics.
- Mechanics Research Group
- L3 Soil Mechanics
- L3 Soils and Foundations
- L4 Geotechnical Design
Journal papers: academic
- Osman, A.S. & Randolph, M. F. (2011). An Analytical Solution for the Consolidation around a Laterally Loaded Pile. International Journal of Geomechanics
- Osman, A.S. & Rouainia, M. (2011). Dynamic response of an axially loaded rigid sphere embedded in a saturated poroelastic medium. Archive of Applied Mechanics
- Birchall, T. J. & Osman, A. S. (2011). Response of a tunnel deeply embedded in a viscoelastic medium. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics
- Osman, A. S. (2010). Comparison between coupled and uncoupled consolidation analysis of a rigid sphere in a porous elastic infinite space. Journal of Engineering Mechanics - ASCE 136(8): 1059-1064.
- Osman, A.S & Randolph, M. F. (2010). Response of a solid infinite cylinder embedded in a poroelastic medium and subjected to a lateral load. International Journal of Solids and Structures 47(18-19): 2414-2424
- Osman, A. S. (2010). Stability of unlined twin tunnels in undrained clay. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 25(3): 290-296.
- Klar, A. & Osman, A. S. (2008). Continuous velocity fields for the T-bar problem. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 32(8): 949-963.
- Klar, A. & Osman, A. S. (2008). Load-displacement solutions for piles and shallow foundations based on deformation fields and energy conservation. Geotechnique 58(7): 581-589.
- Klar, A, Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2007). 2D and 3D upper bound solutions for tunnel excavation using 'elastic' flow fields. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 31(12): 1367-1374.
- Osman, A. S & Bolton, M. D. (2007). Discussion: Design of braced excavations to limit ground movements. Authors' reply. Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Engineering 160(1): 55-56.
- Osman, A. S., White, D. J., Britto, A. & Bolton, M. D. (2007). Simple prediction of the undrained displacement of a circular surface foundation on non-linear soil. Geotechnique 57(9): 729-737.
- Osman, A. S & Bolton, M. D. (2006). Design of braced excavations to limit ground movements. Geotechnical Engineering, proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineering 159(GE3): 167-175.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2006). Disscussion on Simple plasticity-based prediction of the undrained settlement of shallow foundations on clay, Authors' reply. Geotechnique 55, No 6.,435-477. Geotechnique 56(5): 355-356.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2006). Ground movement predictions for braced excavations in undrained clay. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 132(4): 465-477.
- Osman, A. S., Mair, R. J. & Bolton, M. D. (2006). On the kinematics of 2D tunnel collapse in undrained clay. Géotechnique 56(9): 585-595.
- Osman, A. S., Bolton, M. D. & Mair, R.J. (2006). Predicting 2D ground movements around tunnels in undrained clay. Géotechnique 56(9): 597-604.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2005). Simple plasticity-based prediction of the undrained settlement of shallow circular foundations on clay. Géotechnique 55(6): 435-447.
- Osman, A. S. & Bolton, M. D. (2004). A new design method for retaining walls in clay. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 41(3): 451-466.