Publication details for Professor Jon TrevelyanBird, G.E., Trevelyan, J. & Augarde, C.E. (2010). A coupled BEM/Scaled Boundary FEM formulation for accurate computations in linear elastic fracture mechanics. Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements 34(6): 599-610.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0955-7997
- DOI: doi:10.1016/j.enganabound.2010.01.007
- Keywords: Boundary element method; Scaled boundary finite element method; Fracture; Linear elasticity; Coupled methods
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
Issues relating to the practical implementation of the coupled boundary element–scaled boundary finite element method are addressed in this paper. A detailed approach highlights fully the process of applying boundary conditions, including the treatment of examples in which the assumptions made in previous work are no longer valid. Verification of the method is undertaken by means of estimating stress intensity factors and comparing them against analytical solutions. The coupled algorithm shows good convergence properties. Issues relating to traction scaling, the use of discontinuous boundary elements, and the greater versatility of the coupled method over its constituent methods are highlighted.