You must satisfy our general University entry requirements which are detailed in the main University web pages. The key points are:
- You will need three good A-level passes (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking)
- We accept alternative qualifications of equivalent merit
- You can apply for our BEng or BSc programmes either as your chosen route or as an 'insurance' behind either of our MEng programmes
- You can apply for both computer science and engineering programmes simultaneously
- All applications must come through UCAS.
The expected minimum entry requirement for the Engineering MEng is normally three GCE Advanced Level passes at grades A*AA, to include Mathematics and Physics, but excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.
The expected minimum entry requirement for the Computer Science MEng is normally three GCE Advanced Level passes at grades A*AA, to include Mathematics but excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.
The minimum requirement for the Engineering BEng is normally three A-level's at grades AAA, again to include Mathematics and Physics but excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.
The minimum requirement for the Computer Science BSc is normally three A-level's at grades AAA, again to include Mathematics but excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.
The University works on a system where other qualifications are benchmarked to A Levels so there is a direct and consistent relationship between different qualifications. Details of the benchmarks are found in the main University pages. The following qualifications may be suitable for entry to Durham:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB)
- Scottish Certificate of Education and Certificate of Sixth Year Studies
- Irish Leaving Certificate
- Engineering Diploma
- BTEC National Diplomas
Other qualifications may be acceptable for entry onto the course please email us in case of queries. In all cases an ability in Mathematics equivalent to a grade A at GCE A-level is required and for the IB we require a score of six or above in higher level maths.
The policy regarding the Access to HE Diploma in Engineering is currently the Durham offer as indicated in our standard table plus the requirement that you achieve a distinction in all the mathematics courses.
If you are applying from overseas, you may well have national or other qualifications. Durham has considerable experience of assessing such qualifications and we strongly welcome applications. The best solution is to email us to discuss your specific qualifications.
Please contact us by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The information on this page may be subject to change.