ECS has a vibrant community of postgraduate students registered for research degrees.
You can apply for a one year Master of Science (by research), MSc degree, or a three year Doctor of Philosophy, PhD. When you arrive, you will be assigned a supervisory team of academics, who will be international experts in their field. In the MSc programme, you have the option of attending advanced taught courses across all topics covered by the School. You are not examined in these courses and the choice will be in conjunction with your academic advisers.
ECS seeks to recruit, to inspire and to graduate some of the very best postgraduate students in research. We do this through a wide ranging PhD programme, with research that covers the full range of our research expertise. Our research is supported by a community of scholars, from the UK and overseas, and a resource framework that is comparable with other world class centres of learning. The School's postgraduate prospectus contains further information.
If you join us as a research student you would be part of a vibrant and challenging community of researchers, undertaking research that demonstrates both originality and significance. Research students can get involved with some aspects of teaching and administration in the School as well. As we are a large School, our research has a structure that evolves in relation to the changing directions in the discipline. At present, we are arranged into a number of groups and centres; full details can be found by exploring ECS's research web pages.
Durham University provides many resources for postgraduate students. These include
- An excellent Library, with both on-campus and off-campus access
- Access to other libraries within the North-East of England
- Information Technology Services, including computing and printing, a high performance computing utility, introductory and advanced software training courses, and a comprehensive helpdesk etc.
- University support for your health and welfare
- Assistance, where possible, with the provision of accommodation
- Language training
- Careers guidance and support
- A postgraduate association and student union
- Superb facilities for sport and other activities
Further details on the services for postgraduate students at Durham can be found on the University's postgraduate web pages.