The Qubbat al-Sulaybiyya is a small octagonal building 18m. across, located on the top of a hill on the west side of the Tigris. As first discovered, the remains of an inner octagon were standing, without a roof,. At the centre of the building is a square room. In the centre of each side is an arched doorway, on each side of which is an arched semi-circular niche. And the central room was surrounded by an ambulatory.
Following restoration by the Iraq Directorate of Antiquities in the 1970s, further excavations revealed an open outer platform with four ramps.
When the site was first excavated in 1911, three tombs were found under the floor and it was thought that the building was a mausoleum of the caliphs. Now it is thought that the burials were later, and the building was just a pavilion.
|Return to Samarra Archaeological Survey|