Dr Orkun Akseli, LLB, MA, LLM, PhD, MCIArb, FHEA
Dr. Orkun Akseli is Senior Lecturer in Commercial Law at Durham Law School. He joined the Law School in 2011, having previously taught at the University of Manchester as part time seminarist and at the Robert Gordon and Newcastle Universities as lecturer. Dr. Akseli studied for his LLB at Dokuz Eylul University Law Faculty, Izmir, Turkey. He obtained his LLM from the University of Georgia, USA; MA from Istanbul Bilgi University Law Faculty and PhD from the University of Manchester Law School. Before embarking on academic life he practiced insurance defence and commercial litigation in Izmir. He is a member of Turkish Bar.
His research interests are in the corporate and commercial field with particular emphasis on harmonisation of secured transactions laws and facilitation of credit. His monograph 'International Secured Transactions Law: Facilitation of Credit, International Conventions and Instruments' was published by Routledge in 2011. He is editor (with Professor Joanna Gray) of 'Financial Regulation in Crisis? The Role of Law and the Failure of Northern Rock' (Edward Elgar, 2011). Dr. Akseli was awarded funding by the Modern Law Review and sponsored by the World Bank for the purpose of organising The World Bank and the Modern Law Review Conference on International Legal Standards on Secured Transactions and Financial Crisis held on 14th May 2010. This prestigious and competitive award, as well as the generous support of the World Bank, enabled the development of academic and practical debate on how international legal standards on secured transactions might facilitate credit in the face of financial crisis. He currently edits the proceedings from this conference to be published by Cambridge University Press.
Dr. Akseli is a member of Working Group A (Attachment and Perfection) on the Secured Transactions Law Reform Project (under the chairmanship of Lord Saville and the directorship of Professor Sir Roy Goode QC) and a member of Common Core of European Law (Trento) Project Working Group on Property.
Dr. Akseli is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a number of international arbitration groups. He is co-convenor of Banking and Finance Law subject section of the Society of Legal Scholars. He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He is the Book Reviews Editor of the Web Journal of Current Legal Issues.
He gave visiting lectures at Verona University Law School and Istanbul Yeditepe University.
- Corporate Law/Commercial Law
- International Banking Law
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Secured Transactions
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Sale of Goods
- Arbitration and ADR
- Akseli, Orkun (2011). International Secured Transactions Law: Facilitation of Credit and International Conventions and Instruments. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Akseli, N. Orkun (Submitted). Availability of Credit and Secured Transactions in a Time of Crisis. Cambridge University Press.
- Gray, Joanna & Akseli, Orkun (2011). Financial Regulation in Crisis?: The Role of Law and the Failure of Northern Rock. Elgar Financial Law series. Cheltenham, England: Edward Elgar.
Essays in edited volumes
- Akseli, Orkun (2012). International Harmonisation of Credit and Security Laws: The Way Forward. In The Theory and Practice of Harmonisation. Andenas, M. & Andersen, C.B. Cheltenham, England: Edward Elgar. 551-571.
- Akseli, Orkun (2012). Vulnerability and access to low cost credit. In Consumer Credit, Debt and Investment in Europe. Devenney, J. & Kenny, M. Cambridge Cambridge University Press. 4-20.
- Akseli, Orkun, Gray, Joanna & Campbell, Andrew (2011). Introduction. In Financial Regulation in Crisis? The Role of Law and the Failure of Northern Rock. Gray, Joanna & Akseli, Orkun Cheltenham, England: Edward Elgar. vii-xiv.
- Akseli, N. Orkun (2011). The Principle of Debtor Protection under the UN Convention on the Assignment of Receivables. In International Arbitration and International Commercial Law: Synergy, Convergence and Evolution - Liber Amicorum Eric Bergsten. Kroll, S., Mistelis, L., Perales Viscasillas, P. & Rogers, V Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands: Kluwer Law International. 509-524.
- Akseli, Orkun (2011). Was Securitisation the Culprit? Explanation of legal processes behind creation of mortgage-backed sub-prime securities. In Financial Regulation in Crisis? The Role of Law and the Failure of Northern Rock. Joanna, Gray & Akseli, Orkun Cheltenham, England: Edward Elgar. 1-16.
- Akseli, N. Orkun (2008). On the Methods of International Harmonisation of Secured Transactions Law. In Sharing International Commercial Law across National Boundaries: Festschrift for Albert H. Kritzer on the Occasion of his Eightieth Birthday. Andersen, Camilla B. & Schroeter, Ulrich G. London: Wildy, Simmonds & Hill. 1-12.
- Akseli, Orkun (2007). Revocability of Offer: Editorial Remarks on whether and the extent to which the Principles of European Contract Law may be used to help interpret Article 16 of the CISG. In An International Approach to the Interpretation of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (1980) as Uniform Sales Law. Felemegas, John Cambridge University Press. 301-307.
Journal papers: academic
- Akseli, Orkun (2013). Securitisation, the Financial Crisis and the need for effective risk retention. European Business Organization Law Review 14: 1-27.
- Akseli, Orkun (2009). Contractual prohibitions on assignment of receivables: an English and UN perspective. Journal of Business Law (7): 650-678.
- Akseli, Orkun (2007). Turkish law and the UNCITRAL’s work on the assignment of receivables with a special reference to the assignment of future receivables. Law and Financial Markets Review 1(1): 45-54.
- Akseli, N. Orkun (2006). The UNCITRAL Convention on the Assignment of Receivables in International Trade, Assignment of Future Receivables and Turkish Law. International Business Law Journal (6): 767-787.
- Akseli, Orkun (2004). The New EU Financial Conglomerates Directive. International Trade Law and Regulation 10(6): 125-128.
- Akseli, Orkun (2003). Appointment of Arbitrators as specified in the Agreement to Arbitrate. Journal of International Arbitration 20(3): 247-254.
- Akseli, Orkun (2003). Commentary on whether and the extent to which the Principles of European Contract Law may be used to interpret Article 16 of the CISG. Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration 7(1): 151-160.
- Akseli, N. Orkun (2001). Advertising and "Pass-Through" Warranties Under Revised Article 2. Commercial Law Journal 106(1): 65-82.
Journal papers: online
- Akseli, N. Orkun (2003). Editorial remarks on the Manner in which the PECL may be used to interpret or supplement CISG Article 16.
- 2012: Legal Transplants and Harmonisation, £912, The Society of Legal Scholars
- 2010: The Modern Law Review Seminar Funds, £4000