Professor Mathias Siems
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mathias Siems is a Professor of Commercial Law at Durham University. He is also a Research Associate at the Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge, a Research Associate at the London Centre for Corporate Governance and Ethics, Birkbeck, University of London, and an Invited Fellow at the Maastricht European Law Institute. He was previously a professor at the University of East Anglia, a reader at the University of Edinburgh, an associate professor at the Riga Graduate School of Law, a Fulbright Scholar at Harvard Law School, and a Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute in Florence. He has also held various visiting positions at universities in Europe, Asia and North America. Mathias Siems is a graduate of the Universities of Munich and Edinburgh.
- Company and Securities Law
- Comparative Law
- Law and Finance
- Research methods
- Siems, Mathias (2008). Convergence in Shareholder Law. Cambridge Cambridge University Press.
- Siems, Mathias & Cabrelli, David (2013). Comparative Company Law: A Case-Based Approach. Hart Publishing.
Journal papers: academic
- Siems, Mathias & Mac Sithigh, Daithi (2012). Mapping Legal Research. The Cambridge Law Journal 71(03): 651-676.
- Siems, Mathias & De Cesari, Amedeo (2012). The Law and Finance of Share Repurchases in Europe. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 12(1): 33-57.
- Siems, Mathias, Herzog, Leif & Rosenhäger, Erik (2011). The Protection of Creditors of a European Private Company (SPE). European Business Organization Law Review 12(1): 147-172.
- Siems, Mathias (2010). Citation Patterns of the German Federal Supreme Court and of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales. King's Law Journal 21(1): 152-171.
- Siems, Mathias & Deakin, Simon (2010). Comparative Law and Finance: Past, Present and Future Research. Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE) 166(1): 120-140
- Schouten, Michael & Siems, Mathias (2010). The Evolution of Ownership Disclosure Rules Across Countries. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 10(2): 451-483
- Armour, John, Deakin, Simon, Lele, Priya & Siems, Mathias (2009). How Do Legal Rules Evolve? Evidence from a Cross-Country Comparison of Shareholder, Creditor and Worker Protection. American Journal of Comparative Law 57(3): 579-629.
- Siems, Mathias (2009). Regulatory Competition in Partnership Law. International and Comparative Law Quarterly 58(4): 767-802.
- Armour, John, Deakin, Simon, Sarkar, Prabirjit, Siems, Mathias & Singh, Ajit (2009). Shareholder Protection and Stock Market Development: An Empirical Test of the Legal Origins Hypothesis. Journal of Empirical Legal Studies 6(2): 343-380.
- Siems, Mathias (2008). Legal Originality. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 28(1): 147-164.
- 2011: Philip Leverhulme Prize (£70000.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)