Dr Mike Burt
I am involved in the study of face perception from many different perspectives. Recently, I have become interested in the perception of facial expressions. I also work on hemispheric biases in face perception, the perception of different facial attributes (e.g. age, gender, health and attractiveness) and aspects of face perception related to evolutionary psychology.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2005: The 11th European Conference on Facial Expression: Organiser of the The 11th European Conference on Facial Expression in Durham 2005.
- 2002: Invited talk: Perception of facial expressions: Burt, D. M. (2002). Perception of facial expressions: when is a face neutral? Invited talk presented to the Institute of Psychology, School of Medicine, Milan, Italy.
- 2002: Symposium chair “The development of emotional facial expression perception” at the BPS Developmental Section Conference, University of Sussex.:
- 2001: Burt, D. M., Frigerio, E., Montagne, B., Murray, L. K., & Perrett, D. I. (2001). Altered perception of dynamic facial expressions of emotion in alcoholism and depression.: Invited paper presented at a colloquium organised by Prof. Jacqueline Nadel at the Hopital de La Salpêtrière, Paris on behalf of the of the French Ministry of Research, Program for Cognitive Sciences.
Department of Psychology
- Evolutionary psychology
- Facial expression recognition
- Emotion and Social Cognition
- Psychology, Project and Statistics
Journal papers: academic
- Sedda, A., Rivolta, D., Scarpa, P., Burt, M., Frigerio, E., Zanardi, G., Piazzini, A., Turner, K., Canevini, M. P., Francione, S., Lo Russo, G. & Bottini, G. (2013). Ambiguous emotion recognition in temporal lobe epilepsy: The role of expression intensity. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience
- Stets, M., Burt, M. & Reid, V. M. (2013). Infants Need More Variety - Increased Data Acquisition with Reduced Participant Attrition in Infant ERP Studies. Frontiers in Psychology 4: 117.
- Sutherland, Clare A. M., Oldmeadow, Julian A., Santos, Isabel M., Towler, John, Michael Burt, D. & Young, Andrew W. (2013). Social inferences from faces: Ambient images generate a three-dimensional model. Cognition 127(1): 105-118.
- West, J. T., Horning, S. M., Klebe, K. J., Foster, S. M., Cornwell, R. E., Perrett, D., Burt, D. M. & Davis, H. P. (2012). Age Effects on Emotion Recognition in Facial Displays: From 20 to 89 Years of Age. Experimental Aging Research 38(2): 146-168.
- Aljuhanay, A., Milne, E., Burt, D. M. & Pascalis, O. (2010). Asymmetry in face processing during childhood measured with chimeric faces. Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition 15(4): 439-450.
- Lau, J. Y. F., Burt, M., Leibenluft, E., Pine, D. S., Rijsdijk, F., Shiffrin, N. & Eley, T. C. (2009). Individual Differences in Children's Facial Expression Recognition Ability: The Role of Nature and Nurture. Developmental Neuropsychology 34(1): 37-51.
- Gagliardi, C., Maghini, C., Germiniasi, C., Stefanoni, G., Molteni, F., Burt, D. M. & Turconi, A. C. (2008). The Effect of Frequency of Cerebral Palsy Treatment: A Matched-Pair Pilot Study. Pediatric Neurology 39(5): 335-340.
- Gagliardi, Chiara., Martelli, Sara., Burt, D. Michael & Borgatti, Renato. (2007). Evolution of Neurologic Features in Williams Syndrome. Pediatric Neurology 36(5): 301-306.
- Boothroyd, L.G., Jones, B.C., Burt, D.M. & Perrett, D.I. (2007). Partner characteristics associated with masculinity, health and maturity in male faces. Personality and Individual Differences 43(5): 1161-1173.
- Little, A. C., Jones, B. C., Burt, D. M. & Perrett, D. I. (2007). Preferences for symmetry in faces change across the menstrual cycle. Biological Psychology 76: 209–216.
- Burt, D. M., Kentridge, R. W. , Good, J. M. M., Perrett, D. I., Tiddeman, B. P. & Boothroyd, L. G. (2007). Q-cgi: new techniques to assess variation in perception applied to facial attractiveness. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B-Biological Sciences 274(1627): 2779–2784.
- Little, AC, Burt, DM & Perrett, DI (2006). Assortative mating for perceived facial personality traits. Personality and Individual Differences 40(5): 973-984.
- Frigerio, E., Burt, D. M., Gagliardi, C., Cioffi, G., Martelli, S., Perrett, D. I. & Borgatti, R. (2006). Is everybody always my friend? perception of approachability in Williams syndrome. Neuropsychologia 44(2): 254-259.
- Butler, S., Gilchrist, I. D., Burt, D. M., Perrett, D. I., Jones, E. & Harvey, M. (2005). Are the perceptual biases found in chimeric face processing reflected in eye-movement patterns?. Neuropsychologia 43(1): 52-59.