Welcome to the page that tells you all about the
wonderful people who run your society!
Julia's responsible for liasing with all our partner organisations, and ensuring that the society complies with all the rules and regulations.
The President's core responsibilities are:
- To liase with all partner organisations and to maintain the contacts and relationships of the society.
- To ensure that the society complies with all the rules and regulations set out by the DSU.
- To coordinate the rest of the exec, delegate and supervise their responsibilities.
- To act as chairperson during exec meetings and to do her utmost to keep them on track!
- To organise and lead the majority of events.
- To recieve emails of enquiry and distribute them to the appropriate person (be they exec or otherwise).
- If necessary to set up and chair a selection committee/interview panel.
The DSU requires each society to have a secretary who does exciting things like writing up minutes from meetings and the likes. Kitty is also responsible whenever the minibus doesn't turn up.
In being elected Secretary of the society she also aquired a list of responsibilities. They are:
- To take minutes during exec and general meetings.
- To maintain relations with minibus companies and organise their assistance with travel during our outings when needed.
- To book rooms or venues for meetings of any sort when required.
- To maintain a prior sponsorship deal, or seek one.
- To recieve orders from the president, and assist with anything he/she needs assistance with!
Gideon, as Treasurer, is the one with the money.
As Treasurer he is responsible for:
- Keeping the Conservation Volunteers accounts in sound order.
- Signing all cheques from the Conservation Volunteers cheque book.
- Producing invoices when they are needed.
- Making the rest of the exec aware of the budget and its limitations.
- Collecting membership money and banking it.
Lizzie is in charge of organising the stash (ConSoc clothing) and our socials (think a night loose in the Botanic Gardens greenhouses).
The main responsibilities of the social sec are:
- Collecting orders and payment for stash from society members.
- Placing orders with stash companies.
- Distributing received stash among members.
- Organising venues and events for socials at convenient times.
- Organising exciting wildlife events, like trips to the Farne Islands, bee-keeping demonstrations and bug night.
A new position created this year, Peter's job is to keep us all in high spirits while tramping through mud and rain.
- To arrange provision of snacks to keep the society going through long tasks.
- To arrange facilities to provide hot water for tea and coffee.
- To generally be the first to help the President if she needs it!
Alex's job is to keep the society up to date with any new information and raise awareness of the society in Durham.
- To run and maintain the website and Facebook page.
- To take photos during events and make them available online as soon as humanely possible.
- To organise publicity with the President and Secretary.
All of the positions are elected during the Annual General Meeting, by general consensus if uncontended and secret ballot if contested. The last AGM was held on Tuesday 6th March 2012; if you fancy joining the exec next year then please have a chat with any of us!