Microsoft Campus Agreement Software
Microsoft Campus Agreement 3.6
The Microsoft Campus Agreement is an annual "subscription" program (i.e. rental), which allows staff and students to use a selection of Microsoft products on University owned PCs. Under this agreement departments can use the following software:
- Microsoft Office Professional for Windows and Mac
- Windows Operating System upgrades (providing you already have a qualifying operating system)*
- Core Client Access Licences (enabling users to access all versions of Windows Server, Exchange Server, Systems Management Server and Share Point Portal Server CALs) and
You are entitled to use the most up to date version of the software or previous versions of the software.
*If your department obtain non-Windows machines, such as Linux machines, and you wish to convert these machines to Windows, you are NOT covered by the Campus Agreement. If you are converting machines to Windows you must purchase a commercial/ retail version of WIndows for each machine. You cannot transfer Windows licences from discarded machines and you cannot purchase OEM licences. Retail licences for Windows are around £137 each, and can be ordered by sending an Internal Trading form to the Service Desk.
As a member of staff (academic, academic related, secretarial and technical staff who work over 200 hours per year), you may be entitled to order 'home-use' DVDs for Office and Windows operating system upgrades from around £16 per DVD. If you are eligible for ‘home use’, you are entitled to one licence only per product (desktop or laptop). The media is for the student version of the product and can only be installed twice on the same machine (if, for any reason, you need to re-install). For further information, please contact the IT Service Desk. Please note, you cannot upgrade Microsoft Vista licences to Windows 7.
If you are involved in a commercial venture you must buy your Microsoft licences commercially.
- These products are licensed as total entities, so it is not legitimate to install individual components of a packaged product (e.g. you cannot install Word on its own).
- Any other Microsoft products (e.g. Server licences, Project or Visio) can be purchased from CIS (departments only) as individual licences under the Microsoft Select Agreement.
- It specifically does not cover use by students on their own machines. There is a separate scheme for students .
You are permitted to run any version of the above products (e.g. Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003), but you are not permitted to mix components from different versions.
For auditing purposes, we still need to keep a record of all installations of Microsoft software. Each College and Department must nominate a representative, who will be responsible for keeping records of the software and reporting regularly to CIS.