Remote Access to MDS
MDS Anywhere is available for all MDS users (registration required). The service delivers a standard Windows 7 MDS desktop to the user over a web connection or a Remote Desktop Client.
The web connection to the service relies on Internet Explorer (versions 7 - 9). The web connection cannot be used by other browsers, such as Safari or Firefox.
Mac OS X users can access the service by using a Remote Desktop Client. The recommended RDC for OS X 10.5.8 and later is the Microsoft RDC v2.1 (see Related Links on the right of this page for download)
Mac OSX 10.5.7 and lower needs to use RDC v2.0 (See Related Links)
Alternate Remote Desktop Clients can be used. A well used example is CoRD.
Issue with Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (Jan 2013)
There was a problem with staff, using MIcrosoft Remote Desktop Connection software , accessing MDS Anywhere. There was a known issue with Microsoft RDC and MDSAnywhere type remote connections
Microsoft have now released the updated version (RDC 2.1.2), CIS recommends staff to upgrade to this version.
- Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac 2.1.2 (last modified: 23 January 2013) - DMG file
Using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection
- Download and Install the software (see Related Link for download)
- Open the Microsoft RDC from Finder > Applications
For MDS Anywhere ( Windows 7 Interface)
- In the Computer Box type : mdsanywhere.dur.ac.uk (if you are outside the Durham Campus) or just mdsanywhere (on campus)
- The first time you use the software you will be asked for
- Your CIS Username (e.g.abcd12)
- CIS Password
- Domain - leave blank
- You may receive Server Certificate error messages, depending on your connection. Click on the Connect button to continue.
- The software will then load up a standard MDS desktop.