Managed Linux Desktop Service
We are pleased to announce the new Managed Linux Desktop Service (LDS), a sister service to our Windows Managed Desktop Service and Managed Mac Desktop Service. The LDS is suitable for staff and postgraduates with Linux computing requirements and provides the benefits of a managed, supported service with the flexibility of a Linux desktop.
The service is not generally suitable for staff with administrative responsibilities as it will not support Windows-based applications such as Oracle Financials or Banner.
The LDS is built upon Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), the latest Long Term Support release. Amongst the key features are:
- Gnome desktop, with a suite of core applications including OpenOffice 3.2 for office, Firefox for web-browsing, and Evolution for email deployed to every machine
- A wider range of applications, including some scientific packages deployed by default
- Secure access to both personal and departmental data storage
- Upgrades and security fixes pushed automatically to the desktop
- Access to the existing MDS Printing system
- Fully restorable configuration in the unlikely event that a major software or hardware problem damages the system
- Advice and support from the IT Service Desk for core applications
- Local administrative access is available on request