Frequently Asked Questions
Can I connect my Mac to the Durham Exchange Service?
Please see below for instructions on connecting to the Exchange Service.
Does Durham support Apple Macs?
IT Services provide support web pages to aid Apple users to connect to the major services provided by IT Services e.g File Store, Email, Printing, Wired and Wireless Networking
ITS also provides a managed desktop service to staff .
For further information : http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/macs
How do I connect an Apple Mac to the wireless service?
Configuration instructions for the Durham University Wireless service using Mac OS X is explained at:
How do I convert a Office 2007 file to use on Office 2004 for Mac
There is a converversion application called Microsoft Office Open XML File Format Converter for Mac available from the Microsoft website. (link below)
This will allow you to convert the Office 2007 default file formats ( docx, pptx, xlsx)
Please note this is only for Office 2004 for Mac. Office 2008 for Mac has this feature inbuilt
How do I setup my iPhone?
Before you can configure an iPhone to connect to your email, contacts and calender, the device must be initialised. To do this you will need access to a computer with iTunes installed, an Apple ID and a credit card.
iTunes is not included with the iPhone, if you do not have access to a computer with iTunes installed you will first need to visit http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and download the correct version of iTunes for your computer. Double click on the iTunes Setup file that will now be either on your desktop or in your downloaded files folder. Follow the onscreen prompts until the programme is successfully installed, at the end of the installation you will be prompted to reboot your computer. Once the iTunes installation is complete you can follow the remaining instructions to initialise your iPhone.
- Connect iPhone to computer with the USB cable provided in the box
- Start ITunes, at the Welcome to your new iPhone page click continue
- Read and agree to the Software Licence agreement
- Enter your Apple ID or if you don’t have one select ‘I do not have an Apple ID’ and complete the registration form to create your Apple ID
- Accept the iTunes store Terms and Conditions
- Enter a password and security question for your Apple ID
- Enter your payment method details, this will enable you to download music and applications that carry cost from the iTunes Store and iPhone App Store
- Finally follow the onscreen instructions to complete the iPhone setup
If your email is located on the ITS Exchange email system, you can configure your iPhone to sync with Exchange, the instructions are located at http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/local/telecom/mobiles/mobile_exchange/