Frequently Asked Questions
Ensuite Online (ESOL)
Are their any restrictions as to what type of computer I can connect to the En Suite Online Service (ESOL) in my student study bedroom?
Yes. You can find the connection policy details below. These specify the operating system and antivirus protection needed.
Can I check if an ESOL connection problem might be a problem simply in my room?
CIS has ESOL service network points in CM131 in the Computer Centre at Durham and in the IRC at Queen's Campus.
If your laptop will connect without problem to these points but will not in your own room, then it may be a localised problem associated with the part of the network.
Alternatively if your machine will connect to a colleagues point in your college, then the problem could be isolated to your room.
This type of information will help with diagnosing connection issues.
How can I clear the cache in my web browser
In order to speed up web browsing, web browsers are designed to download web pages store them locally on your machine in an area called "cache". When you visit the same page for a second time, the browser speeds up display time by loading the page locally from cache instead of downloading everything again.
This can cause problems when trying to register for our En Suite Online Service (ESOL) as the registration page may not appear.
To clear the cache in commmonly used browsers:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools | Internet Options
- Click on the General tab
- Under Browsing history click the Delete button and choose what items you would like to delete
- Click the Delete then the OK button
- From the Menu Toolbar select History or press Ctrl + H on your keyboard
- Click the Clear all browsing data button
- Click Firefox | Options
- Click the Advanced tab
- Click on the Clear Now button
- Click Ok
- Exit and relaunch the browser
- Open Safari
- Click on the Safari menu
- Select Empty Cache
- Click Empty on the Are you sure message box
- Exit and relaunch Safari
How do I access my J drive from my ESOL connection
Information on how to achieve this from an ESOL network point is available at
This method will not work form outside the University network.
A secure method of achieving this away from the University securely is given at;
How do I connect to the Internet from my room?
If you staying in one of our ESOL (Ensuite Online) rooms then you can connect to the Internet by following the instructions at:
What is Quarantine?
Periodically throughout the year all computers on the EnSuite Online service are placed into 'quarantine' to ensure that they continue to meet our network policy and are adequately protected against Viruses and Spyware.
You will be informed when this is going to happen, to get out of quarantine you are required to follow the same procedure as EnSuite Online registration.
How do I get out of Quarantine?
There are a number of steps you can take to reduce the amount of time your computer is in Quarantine.
- Clear your browser cache by following the instructions at http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/faqs/?faqcategory=113#faq2194
- Empty your Temporary Internet Folder in Internet Explorer (IE). It is good practice to setup IE to do this each time the browser is closed. From the Menu Toolbar select Tools | Internet Options then click the Advanced Tab. Under the Security options, select the option to Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.
- Ensure you have the latest antivirus update files installed - please see the Help system in your antivirus application. Ensure your anti-spyware update files are up to date. Please see the Help system in your anti-spyware application.
Once your computer has been placed in Quarantine, you will be required to download and run the CSA client. You should turn off any firewall applications (or configure them to allow the CSA client to run) prior to running the application. During the Quarantine process, please read the Campus Manager pages carefully, they contain important information and instructions.