Dealing with an infection
Dealing with infection
If you believe your computer is infected with a virus, you MUST clean it.
There are three steps to follow.
1. Download NAI's Stinger - this is a free standalone virus scanner that is updated on a regular basis. It detects and cleans the most prevalent viruses.
The above URL contains full instructions for downloading and using Stinger.
2. After scanning your machine with Stinger, you should do a full scan with an up-to-date version of McAfee. Please see the URL below for details.
3. After scanning your machine and noting down any viruses found, visit the URL below to check if there are an further steps you need to take to clean your machine.
Information for Windows XP users
Prior to cleaning your machine, you should disable the System Restore feature. Full instructions can be found via the URL below.
If you believe your computer has spy/adware installed, you can remove it with Spybot.
To scan your machine:
1 Start Spybot in easy mode
2 Click the Update icon to ensure you have an up-to-date version.
3 Click the Check for Problems icon.
4 Once the scan is complete, delete any object found.
You can protect your machine from any future spy/adware installations.
1 Click the Immunize icon.
2 When the scan is complete, click the Immunize button.
Keeping Microsoft Windows up-to-date
Microsoft issues regular updates and service packs for its operating systems. It is imperative that you download and install these updates as and when they are released.
It is possible to configure your machine to auto-update if the operating system is compatible.
- Right-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Select Properties from the options available.
- Click the Automatic Updates tab.
- Place a tick in the Keep my computer up to date option.
- Chose to download and install updates automatically. And set a day and time when your machine will be on.
- Click OK.
You can also scan and update your operating system by selecting Windows Update from the Start menu, or by downloading and installing updates via the URL below (this feature only works with Internet Explorer).