How to apply
(Ph.D. and M.Sc.)
Postgraduate applications are accepted throughout the year, but project/study start dates are normally 1st October and 1st January each year.
To apply, please follow the instructions listed below
1) Decide which of the six research groupings you are interested in:
- Biological Chemistry
- Materials: Synthesis and Structure
- Optical and Molecular Electronics
- Soft Matter, Surfaces and Interfaces
- Sustainable Chemistry and Catalysis
- Theory and Dynamics
2) Choose at least three possible research supervisors by reading the Chemistry Department's individual staff research profiles.
3) Apply on-line by completing the University's Online Application Form.
Note: In the 'Programme Details' section (Checklist item 6) only the following information is required:
- state at least one research grouping
- state at least three potential supervisors
- the title of a specific research project if already discussed with your proposed supervisor (optional)
4) Please complete and send the following documents via email to Mrs Carrahar
- the departmental pre-registration form
- a full CV (including undergraduate module marks and exam results)
- For information on determining fee status for non-UK applicants, click here.
5) Ask two academic referees to complete the reference forms. These should be returned to the Department directly (either via email to Mrs Carrahar or by post to the address below) in a sealed and signed envelope. Referees may download the form (Word format) using the link above. Click here for further details about references.
Please note, your application cannot be considered until we have all this information.
Mrs A Carrahar
Graduate Admissions Secretary
Department of Chemistry
DH1 3LE, UK
Telephone: (0191) 334 2029
Fax: (0191) 334 2051