Academic Procession and Staff Tickets
Staff are invited to form an Academic Procession at ceremonies, for which academic dress must be worn. The Academic Procession is comprised of:
- current and retired members of academic and academic-related staff (normally taken to mean staff on Grade 7 and above)
- College staff and tutors
- members of Council and Senate
- DSU Sabbatical Officers and JCR/MCR/GCR Presidents
If you wish to join a procession please use the attendance form to register your place and request Academic Dress, if required, by 7 June. Confirmation of your procession(s) will be issued within two weeks, if you don't receive confirmation after two weeks, please contact the Ceremonies Unit. Staff not eligible to process may request a ticket to watch the ceremony from the reserved seating area, see below.
- The Academic Procession will assemble in the Monks' Dormitory area of the Cathedral 30 MINUTES before the start of each ceremony.
- Academic Dress must be worn for the procession, staff without their own robes may use the attendance form to request the loan of robes, which will be available for collection from the Monks' Dormitory and must be returned to the same room after the ceremony or by 6:00 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and by 4:00 pm on Friday. Please note that it is only possible to supply academic dress for UK Universities.
- Staff are reminded that the safety of any personal belongings left in the Monks' Dormitory cannot be guaranteed and are requested to only bring with them what they are able to carry.
- During Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral. Please do not attempt to enter via the North Door.
- At the end of the ceremony, if going out onto Palace Green, please move away from the North Door as graduates and guests will follow the academic procession out of the Cathedral.
- Tickets are not issued to staff walking in the processions.
Staff and guest tickets
Staff not eligible to process or wishing to bring guests are advised to submit the attendance form to request tickets for the 'staff seating area' by 7 June. The tickets will be issued within two weeks, if you don't receive the tickets after two weeks, please contact the Ceremonies Unit.
Staff and staff guests with tickets are requested to be seated in the Cathedral by 15 minutes prior to the ceremony. Please note that during Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral where, on presentation of the appropriate staff ticket, marshals will direct you to the staff seating area, which is at the Font area.