As Secretary I am primarily responsible for communicating and liaising between the Executive Committee and M.C.R. membership. This encompasses minute-keeping at M.C.R. meetings and sending regular emails to M.C.R. members throughout the year to keep them up to date with what's going on.
Proposed by: Thomas Ball
Seconded by: Frances Teehan
I am running for Secretary because I greatly value the traditions and ethos of Castle MCR and wish to contribute to and take a greater role within our postgraduate community.
What do I plan to do?
As well as efficiently fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of Secretary I would also like to:
- Introduce a suggestions box - In order to be fully responsive to our newly expanded student body, I would introduce an anonymous suggestions box which would allow members to raise any points throughout the year regarding the running of the MCR without necessarily taking a public stance. The box would be emptied weekly by the Secretary who would present these ideas at meetings to guarantee the development of a well-represented student body and maximise the potential of the role of the Secretary as liaison between the executive committee and all members of the MCR.
- Establish a locker system - It would be very useful for members to have a place to securely store valuables while they are in college- whether laptops if coming to formal from the office or heels and handbags (for the girls!). A suggested location would be the space at the entrance of the MCR at the foot of the keep staircase.
I would aim to establish these initiatives as quickly as possible, in order to benefit all members of the MCR, including those of us who may only be here for the year.
- Reliable and prompt, committed to projects I take on.
- Well organised with good time management skills.
- Work very well as part of a team.
- Confident and trustworthy when dealing with others.
- Active and social member of the MCR.
- Can always be found in Durham (even in the vacation periods) and would be willing to be approached at short notice to represent the MCR if required.
- Previous pastoral, teaching and organisational experience, including student representation, staff/student consultative committees, student media, student mentoring amongst others.
I feel my strengths would be well suited to the position of Secretary and I would embrace the opportunity to develop my own, as well as other members, MCR experience this year.