As far as my experience of the award goes, I think it has been absolutely fantastic. The interview was particularly useful: though it was much tougher than I anticipated, the feedback was extensive and invaluable. (2012 Award student)
How does the Durham Award work?
The Durham Award has been developed in partnership with employers and students to recognise the extra skills that Durham gives to students, beyond their academic degree. It is about standing out from the crowd and showing that you have the skills that make you "employable".
There is a version of the Award available for undergraduate students and one for taught postgraduates.
Undergraduate Durham Award
Applications are invited each year from final year undergraduates.
- You will be asked to show your personal development whilst at Durham through university involvement, community engagement and work experience;
- A detailed application form will test your skills in teamwork, leadership, communcation, problem solving and commercial awareness;
- Those who make it to the final assessment will attend a panel interview with members of University staff and gradaute recruiters for the chance to demonstrate their "employability".
All students receive detailed feedback and those who successfully complete the assessment are awarded a Durham Award Certificate by the University.
Taught Postgraduate Durham Award
100 places are available each year to students studying on a taught masters programme.
- You will attend compulsory workshops on identifying skills, understanding your skills and selling your skills;
- A panel interview gives you real experience and detailed feedback on your performance;
- The final assessment is a reflective portfolio on the topic: "How has my masters helped to make me more employable".
The Durham Award is a mark of excellence, recognising that Durham students bring so much more than a degree to the workplace.
Current students login to duo and look at the Durham Award information under the Employability & Skills tab.
For further information please contact: Hannah Speight (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 0191 33 41423)
- Durham Award Handbook (last modified: 3 October 2012)
The Durham Award provides students with a fantastic opportunity to recognise their capabilities and articulate their skills so that they can differentiate themselves in a competitive graduate recruitment market place.Graduate Recruiter
Durham Award for Current Students
All the information needed to put together a successful application for the Durham Award can be found under the Employability & Skills tab in duo.
Durham Award for Employers
If you are an employer and would be interested in being involved in the Durham Award have a look at our employer section