Publication details for Dr Thomas RenstromBasu, P. & Renström, T I. (2007). Optimal dynamic labor taxation. Macroeconomic Dynamics 11(5): 567-588.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 1365-1005, 1469-8056
- DOI: 10.1017/S1365100507060221
- Keywords: Optimal Taxation; Dynamic Taxation; Indivisible Labor.
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
We analyze optimal dynamic taxation when labor supply is indivisible. As in Hansen (1985) and Rogerson (1988), markets are complete, and an employment lottery determines who works. The consumer can buy insurance to diversify this income uncertainty. The optimal wage tax is generally positive except for some special cases when leisure is nonnormal and the government can use debt as a policy instrument in addition to its tax instruments. We derive a HARA class of preferences, for which we characterize the dynamic paths of the wage tax. The optimal paths of the labor tax differ between divisible- and indivisible-labor economies.
Durham Research Online
Use DRO to find books, journal articles and conference papers written by our researchers.