Professor Glenn Carroll, BA, MA, PhD
Glenn R. Carroll, now Professor at Columbia Business School, is also the Laurence W. Lane Professor of Organizations at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Professor II at the Department of Sociology and Human Geography, University of Oslo. Previously, he was the Paul Cortese Distinguished Professor of Management at the Haas School, University of California, Berkeley. Glenn is internationally recognized for his contributions to the field of organization sociology and organization theory. In particular, he is known for his work on the population ecology of organizations.
In addition to working with Mike Hannan and Laszlo Polos and others on developing the theoretical framework of organizational ecology, he also advanced with J.R. Harrison the demographic approach to the analysis of organization culture. He has also pioneered “resource partitioning” theory, which deals with how specialist organizations can arise and proliferate in industries experiencing massive consolidation.
Since its first appearance in the seminal 1977 paper, the organizational ecology pioneered by Mike Hannan and others, including Glenn Carroll, has led to an international network of some 100 scholars working through an organizational ecology perspective. Although only 25-years-old, the approach merited an entry in the International Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences (2002) and is recognized as a core specialty in organizational studies textbooks.
- Carroll, G.R., Hannan, M.T. & Pòlos, L. (2007). Social codes and ecologies The logics of organization theory.
- Hannan, M.T., Polos, L. & Carroll, G.R. (2007). The logics of organization theory: Audiences, codes and ecologies. Princeton.: Princeton University Press.
- Carroll, G.R. & Harrison, J.R. (2005). Culture and demography in organizations. Princeton University Press.
- Carroll, G.R. & Fassiotto, M. (Forthcoming). Initial conditions. In Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management. Teece, D. & Augier, M. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Carroll, G.R. (Forthcoming). It’s not about the beer, really. In Market Entry, Competitive Dynamics, and Entrepreneurship. Phan, P. & Markman, G. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Carroll, G.R. & Negro, G. (Forthcoming). Organizational ecology. In Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management. Teece, D. & Augier, M. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Carroll, G.R. & Sørensen, J. (Forthcoming). Sociology and strategy. In Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management. Teece, D. & Augier, M. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Carroll, G.R., McKendrick, D.G., Feng, M. & Le Mens, G. (2009). Studying populations of organizations over time. In The Sage Handbook of Organizational Research Methods. Bryman, A. & Buchanan, D. Newbury Park CA: Sage. 213-229.
- Carroll, G.R. (2007). Organizational demography. In International Encyclopedia of Organization Studies. Clegg, S. & Bailey, J. Newbury Park CA: Sage. 3: 1042-1044.
Journal papers: academic
- "The evolution of inertia," (with Michael T.Hannan and László Pólos), Industrial and Corporate Change 13 (2004): 213-242. (Published).
- Carrol, G., Harrisson, J.R. & McKendrick, D. (2012). Selection and Variation in Organizational Evolution. Industrial and Corporate Change 21(1): 217-243.
- Carroll, G.R. & Torfason, M.T. (2011). Restaurant organizational forms and community in the U.S. in 2005. City & Community 10(1): 1-24.
- Carroll, G.R. & Kovács, B. (2010). Niche width and scale in organizational competition: A computational approach. Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory 16(1): 29-60.
- Carroll, G.R., Feng, M., Le Mens, G. & McKendrick, D.G. (2010). Organizational evolution with fuzzy technological formats: Tape drive producers in the world market, 1951-1998. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 31: 203-233.
- Bogaert, S., Boone, C. & Carrol, G.R (2010). Organizational form emergence and competing professional schemata of Dutch accounting, 1884–1939. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 31: 115-150.
- Carroll, G.R., Khessina, O. & McKendrick, D.G. (2010). The social lives of products: Analyzing product demography for management theory and practice. Academy of Management Annals 4: 157-203.
- Carroll, G.R. & Wheaton, D.R. (2009). The organizational construction of authenticity: An examination of contemporary food and dining in the U.S. Research in Organizational Behavior 29: 255-282.
- Carroll, G.R. & Koçak, Ö. (2008). Growing church organizations in diverse U.S. communities 1890-1926. American Journal of Sociology 113(5): 1272-1315.
- Carroll, G.R. & Khessina, O.M. (2008). Product demography of de novo and de alio firms in the optical disk drive industry, 1983-1999. Organization Science 19(1): 25-38.
- Carroll, G.R., Harrison, R.J., Lin, J. & Carley, K. (2007). Simulation modeling in organizational and management research. Academy of Management Review 32(4): 1229-1245.
- Carroll, G.R., Boone, C. & van Witteloostuijn, A. (2004). Size, differentiation and the performance of Dutch daily newspapers. Industrial and Corporate Change 13(1): 117-148.
- Carroll, G.R., McKendrick, D.G., Jaffee, J. & Khessina, O. (2003). In the bud? Disk array producers as a (possibly) emergent organizational form. Administrative Science Quarterly 48(1): 60-93.
- Dobrev, S., Kim, T-Y. & Carroll, G.R. (2003). Shifting gears, shifting niches: Organizational inertia and change in the evolution of the US automobile industry, 1885-1981. Organization Science 14(3): 264-282.
- Dobrev, S. & Carroll, G.R. (2003). Size (and competition) among organizations: Modeling scale-based selection among automobile producers in four major countries, 1885-1981. Strategic Management Journal 24(6): 541-558.
- Carroll, G.R. & Harrison, J.R. (2002). Come together? The organizational dynamics of post-merger cultural integration. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 10(5-7): 349-368.
- Polos, L., Hannan, M.T. & Carroll, G.R. (2002). Foundations of a theory of social forms. Industrial and Corporate Change 11(1): 85-115.
- Carroll, G.R., Stanislav Dobrev, S. & Swaminathan, A. (2002). Organizational processes of resource partitioning. Research in Organizational Behavior 24: 1-40.
- Carroll, G.R., Boone, C. & van Witteloostuijin, A. (2002). Resource Distributions and Market Partitioning: Dutch Daily Newspapers, 1968 to 1994. American Sociological Review 67(3): 408-431.
- Carroll, Glenn R. & Harrison, J.R. (2002). The dynamics of cultural influence networks. Computational & Mathematical Organization Theory 8(1): 5-30.
- Carroll, G.R., Dobrev, S. & Kim, T.Y. (2002). The Evolution of Organizational Niches: U.S. Automobile Manufacturers, 1885-1981. Administrative Science Quarterly 47(2): 233-264.
- Dobrev, S., Kim T-Y. & Carroll, G.R. (2002). The evolution of organizational niches: U.S. automobile manufacturers, 1885-1981. Administrative Science Quarterly 47(2): 233-264.
Durham Research Online
Use DRO to find books, journal articles and conference papers written by our researchers.