Publication details for Prof Birgit SchynsSchyns, B. & Felfe, J. (2006). The personality of followers and its effect on the perception of leadership – An overview, a study and a research agenda. Small Group Research 37(5): 522-539.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 1046-4964, 1552-8278
- DOI: 10.1177/1046496406293013
- Keywords: Leadership, Personality, Big Five, Transformational leadership, Perception of leadership.
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
This article focuses on the way in which followers' personality characteristics shape their perception of transformational leaders. After a review of prior research, a study using a U.S. employee sample is presented in which follower extraversion and agreeableness are found to be related to the perception of transformational leadership. On the basis of this research, the authors formulate questions concerning the relationship between followers' personality and the perception of transformational leadership. With reference to these questions, the authors outline an agenda for future research.