Publication details for Dr Leslie J ReinhornReinhorn, L.J. (2007). Butter mountains and wine lakes. Economics Letters 94(2): 197-201.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0165-1765
- DOI: 10.1016/j.econlet.2006.06.029
- Keywords: Price supports; Excess supply; Stockpiles; Optimal taxation
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
One consequence of the EU's common agricultural policy was surplus: “butter mountains” and “wine lakes.” This paper shows that it may be optimal for the government to stockpile agricultural products as part of an overall plan for income redistribution.