Publication details for Dr Anurag Narayan BanerjeeBanerjee, A.N. & Swinnen, J.F.M. (2004). Does a sudden death liven up the game? Rules, incentives and strategy in football. Economic Theory 23(2): 411-421.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0938-2259, 1432-0479
- DOI: 10.1007/s00199-003-0402-3
- Keywords: Soccer - Game theory - Golden goal rule.
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
In an effort to stimulate more attractive football, the international football association FIFA, has recently introduced the "sudden death" or "golden goal" rule for games going into extra time play. This paper analyses under which conditions, if any, the introduction of the sudden death rule improves the attractiveness of the football game. Our results indicate that the new rule will not change the behavior of equally powerful teams.