Staff: by section
When dialling from outside the University, please prefix the telephone number with (0191) 33.
Dr Wing Lam, BA, MBA, MEd, FHEA, PhD
Dr Wing Lam is a Lecturer in Management at Durham Business School, Durham University.
Before pursuing an academic career, Dr Lam spent nearly ten years in commerce (international trading, consultancy and internal auditing) in her native Hong Kong. Her international industrial and academic background helps to shape her research agenda which emphasises both the practical and theoretical values of research and teaching. Intending to bridge the gap between the academic community and the business world, Dr Lam has been actively involved in cross-national research projects in entrepreneurship and family business, female entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial finance, ethnic minority entrepreneurship and cross-cultural management.
Dr Wing Lam is Chair - British Academy of Management (BAM) Entrepreneurship Special Interest Group & Annual Conference Entrepreneurship Track.
Awards and Prizes
- Highly Commended Award Winner, Emerald Literati Network 2011 Awards for Excellence: Lam W., (2010) Funding Gap, What Funding Gap? Financial Bootstrapping: Supply, Demand and Creation of Entrepreneurial Finance, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 16 (4), 268-295.
- Best paper in Family Business Track, Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship (ISBE) 33rd National Conference, 2-4 November 2010, London, UK: Lam, W., "Understanding the Relationship Marketing Process of Family Businesses in the Industrial (B2B) Sector".
- Best Paper in Track 'Management, Skills Development and Growth Issues', Institute for Small Business & Entrepreneurship (ISBE) 30th National Conference, 7-9 November 2007, Glasgow, Scotland, UK:
Lam, W., Shaw, E., & Carter, S., Entrepreneurial Capital: Convertibility, Personal Reputation and Firm Performance.
- Best Paper Award in Track 'Entrepreneurship', British Academy of Management (BAM) 2007, 11-13 September, Warwick Business School, UK: Carter, S., Shaw E., & Lam, W. (2007) Bank Lending to Entrepreneurs: How Gender Impacts on the Decision-making Process
- Best Paper Award for Women's Entrepreneurship, 2006 International Council for Small Business World Conference (ICSB), 18-21 June, 2006, Melbourne, Australia, awarded by National Women's Business Council, USA: Shaw, E., Lam, W., Carter, S., & Wilson, F. (2006). Theory, Practice and Policy: An Integrated View on Gender, Networks and Social Capital.
- Barclays Best Paper Award for Small Business Finance, Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE) 28th National Conference, 1-3 November 2005, Blackpool, UK: Shaw, E., Carter, S., Lam, W., & Wilson, F. (2005). Social capital and accessing finance: the relevance of networks
Potential Areas of Supervision
I am willing to supervise research students in any of my fields of interest listed below.
- Business and Management
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Master in Business Administration