Supporting high quality and research-led education
- initial professional development for early career researchers and part-time staff beginning their teaching careers;
- continuing professional development opportunities for early career researchers and part-time staff with some experience of teaching and supporting learning and enabling them to align their practice to Standard Descriptor 1 of the UK Professional Standards Framework and become Associates of the Higher Education Academy;
- with the Admissions Office, providing opportunities for the University's admissions tutors to undertake appropriate initial and continuing professional development;
- opportunities for experienced staff to undertake continuing professional development in teaching, supporting student learning, and assessment;
- with the Academic Support Office, providing opportunities for researchers and academic staff to be able to meet requirements for quality assurance, e.g. in programme planning and design;
- with the Learning Technology Team, providing opportunities for academic staff to use technology to enhance student learning;
- providing opportunities for researchers and academic staff new to supervision to acquire appropriate knowledge and skills and for established supervisors to refresh their practice;
- supporting innovation in learning and teaching and rewarding excellence;
- providing opportunities to disseminate good practice in learning and teaching internally and externally.
- providing opportunities for early career researchers to acquire the knowledge and skills to effectively manage their research projects and as far as possible complete them on time;
- providing opportunities for researchers to develop the knowledge and skills to undertake their research projects, including information retrieval and effectively using information technology;
- with the Research Office and the faculties, providing opportunities for researchers and academics to write successful applications for research grants;
- providing opportunities for researchers and academics to develop their skills in writing for publication;
- with the Research Office and the HR Training Team, providing opportunities for researchers and academic s involved in leadership roles and future research leaders to undertake appropriate development;
- with the Research Office, Durham Business and Innovation Services, the Doctoral Training Centres, and Beacon North East providing opportunities for researchers and academics to maximise the impact of their research;
- providing appropriate training in support of applications for postgraduate research studentships and research funding.
Enhancing the student experience
- with Human Resources, providing opportunities for researchers and academic staff engaged in teaching and supporting learning to be aware of issues relating to diversity and supporting them to respond appropriately;
- providing opportunities for early career researchers to enhance their personal effectiveness;
- with the Student Counselling Service and the Colleges Division, providing opportunities for researchers and academics to reflect upon and develop pastoral aspects of their roles.
- providing opportunities for early career researchers to develop employment-related skills and aptitudes;
- with the Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre (CEEC)providing opportunities for academic staff to develop ways of enhancing the employability of their students;
- with the Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre and the Doctoral Training Centres to provide opportunities for research students to undertake internships or work experience;
- supporting CEEC in enhancing employability for postgraduates on taught programmes.
- with Human Resources and the International Office, seek to improve the information, support and advice available to international staff and their families;
- with the International Office, providing an induction programme for international research students;
- with the English Language Centre, providing opportunities for international postgraduate students to enhance their research and writing skills;
- providing opportunities for graduate teaching assistants and academic staff with little or no experience of UK higher education to be inducted into learning, teaching and assessment at Durham;
- providing opportunities to support researchers and academic staff for pursuing the internationalisation of the curriculum and teaching, learning and assessment [In 2.5].
Enhancing enterprise and entrepreneurial education
- with the CEEC and Business and Innovation Services, supporting early career researchers who wish to start a business;
- with departments and Doctoral Training Centres, contribute to formal courses in enterprise for postgraduate research students and academic staff.