St Mary the Less
This grade II listed church is located in the shadow of Durham Cathedral, and has been used as the Chapel of St John's College since 1927. The earliest records of the parish date from the 1140s, a short time after the founding of Cathedral. The present building is an 1847 restoration of the earlier Norman-style building. The architecture has strong parities with that of the Cathedral, with its notable Norman arches.