Durham Castle is part of the Durham World Heritage Site and a Grade 1 Listed Building. Dating from the 11th century, it was previously the chief residence of the Prince Bishops of Durham and as such played a significant role in the history of the United Kingdom. Bishop Van Mildert gave the Castle to the University at its foundation in 1832. Today it is home of University College, and a residence to many students. With the Cathedral, it is still very much an icon of the City and County of Durham.